Tuesday, October 25, 2011

No hago blog. Bronceándome. ("Can't blog. Tanning.")

My mother informs me that I haven't posted here in a while. But there are a few good reasons for that:
1. We've been in Florida, and it's been sunny. Sunshine > Blogging
2. I've been taking a good amount of pictures and Facebooking those bad boys, so a lot of the minute details of my days have been chronicled there.
3. I've been really damn tired.

However! I am currently recovering from tummy troubles, stretched out on a 3-seater bench in the passenger van, en route to Miami, so here's a little update..

My fabulous, wonderful daddy came to see the show when we were in Smithfield! It was so nice to Bruja it up for him, and in true Jack Linberg style, he pimped out the show to anyone close enough to hear. He even convinced a kid that there was a competition going on among the classes at the show, and the winner was the class who could cheer and laugh the most. NO WONDER there was so much commotion coming fro/ House Right...! Sadly, a highly rated hole in the wall BBQ place in the area closed too early for us to share some father-daughter pulled pork sandwiched, but we made do with a beer at Ruby Tuesday (another first for me! I'm racking up all kinds of new East-coast chain restaurants!), after which I rpomptly fell asleep, sprawled over the sheets of my Super 8 hotel room for a good four hours.
I told you I've been really damn tired.

After a repair stop for the cargo van, we headed (reeeeeally really far) south to Tampa, where the theater was stunningly beautiful (and old. And MUSKY.), and the sandwich shop I went to for lunch was helmed by a 60-something Pilipina with the sweetest demeanor and best stories (and adobo!).
Then, three days in North Fort Lauderdale, where those of us without family in the area finagled our three night sit-down to a lovely Westin--for the same price! HELL-O in-room Starbuck's coffee, complimentary check-in Chardonnay, and enormous jacuzzi!! We had a day off, and I got to explore Ft Lauderdale for the first time as a tourist. I was a mere five miles from Port Everglades, where my little MS Maasdam used to dock on our Panama Canal/Caribbean cruises. I watched a ship disembark (I think it was a Princess ship) and got majorly nostalgic. Later, back at the hotel, I kept seeing luggage with brown MS Eurodam tags them..turns out they were docking on Sunday. I wish I could've seen that big ol' ship pull into port! The biggest déjà vu moment was as we were driving off to Jacksonville and I passed by the street with the Publix grocery store where I used to pick up baby carrots, and the Ross where I bought my white dress that I wore to many a Formal Night on the ship. Very weird, but it was nice to reminisce.

In Jacksonville, we got cut from two shows to one (budget? Not selling? We don't really know. The rumor is that the show isn't selling well because people are worried it'll be too bilingual), but the theater was gorgeous. Then off to Ormond Beach, which was blissfully only an hour and a half down the road (take a look at my past five days of itinerary, and you'll see the long hauls we've been doing),which gave us some time off. I was majorly H.A.L.T.-ing (an acronym Tony taught me: Hungry Angry Lonely Tired) by the time we got there, so Danny, Tony, and I took a quick trip to nearby Daytona Beach. I got to frolic in the warm Atlantic waters again, terrify some sandpipers, and see one of America's most heavily populated beaches at the tail end of it's season. You can't tell when you're watching MTV's Spring Break specials on TV, but Daytona is a really beautiful stretch of beach, with cute little shops and a weird mix of Southern pride and beachcomber style. Happy Hour at Chili's, then it was an uttery uneventful evening.
Another cancelled double show today (making it a single show), where the coordinator thanked us and wants to bring the show to the western counties, where 65% of the kids are Hispanic. It was so nice to hear feedback, especially in the last week when we've been wearing a little thin. Also, the coordinator bought us donuts. Bam! Double excellence!

I'm excited to see how the show is received in Miami and the environs, what with all them Spanish-speakin' folk down thurr, and I cannot WAIT to see Miami! Lincoln Road, South Beach, Cuban food every five feet...oh baby. But first, another nap.

Hasta pronto!

No comments:

Post a Comment