Tuesday, September 6, 2011

El Primer Día

And so it begins...

We started the day off with a meeting with an Equity rep who explained all the ins and outs of being an Equity member and what being a cast member of a Theatreworks show entails, plus all the benefits, costs, co-payments, fees, dues, 401(k)s, and Actor's Fund resources that are available to us. By 10:30 my brain was close to exploding. I'll have to sort it all out later, but at the end of the day, I am a member of a worker's union! Hooray for labor laws!
Immediately following we had a safety meeting with a therapist from a performing arts clinic in the city, teaching us about good nutrition while on tour (buy stock in trail mix and baby carrots!) as well as how to not blow out our backs while lifting set pieces. Forget sick dance moves, I'm more at risk moving the magic mirrors!
The rest of the day was music, music, and more music.

This show is FILLED with fabulous music, and while I'm not on stage the whole time, I'm singing a lot of the harmony parts offstage, usually while setting up set pieces and helping with quick changes. "No rest for the wicked" takes on a whole new meaning...
My cast mates are fabulous, talented, and legitimately Latino, which makes me the sole honky in the cast.

STAY IN SCHOOL, KIDS! AND LEARN ANOTHER LANGUAGE! You'll stay employed!! Today was busy busy, but thank goodness for our fabulous musical director Zach who was patient and positive through it all.
And then the skies opened up and rained like a champion, and all my music got wet.
So thank goodness also for hair dryers.

¡WEPA!

No comments:

Post a Comment